The Department of Genetics and Bioengineering is one of the largest disciplines. Like the sciences of physics, chemistry and engineering that merged in the last century, those of biology and engineering are required to merge in the 21st century. This means that the methods and principles of engineering should be applied to the problems faced in medicine and biology. Genetics and Bioengineering bring together biology and other sciences (Math and others). Even though the basis of Genetics and Bioengineering is biology, Geneticists and bioengineers are required to use the complex engineering devices, machines and methods. The undergraduate program of Genetics and Bioengineering aims to develop new technologies by using the biologic systems and processes. For this purpose, the students will learn to grasp the basic principles of engineering and to analyse the biologic mechanisms and events from the perspective of engineering. Thus, the students will get a sound background in Math, Physics, Chemistry and other basic sciences, with which they will understand the basis of molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics and cell biology, biomaterials, biodynamics, bioheat transfer and biorobotics for a thorough view and understanding of the branch.
Bioengineers have three main duties;
- To design,
- To develop the application methods and to choose or develop the proper equipment,
- To plan and apply the proper production.
In this sense, it serves to develop the systems in the production sector and to enhance the life quality of the society through its services. These services are as follows:
- It carries out planning, research and development studies in RE-DE departments of the businesses in production sectors to obtain various foodstuff, drinks, energy sources (hydrogen, ethanol, biogas), drugs (antibiotics, vitamins, hormones) and biochemical materials (proteins and amino acid, enzymes, organic acid and solvents, pesticides and various polymers) and materials compatible with biologic systems.
- The graduates of the undergraduate program of Genetics and Bioengineering can work as researchers in a wide range of sectors from food through agriculture, health and medicine to environment; at hospitals and clinics; at institutions with legal liabilities such as Sanitation and Turkish Standards Institute; at the diagnosis and treatment centres of genetics, and at vaccine-production centres. They can also work as academicians at departments if they do their postgraduate studies.
- As it is a new branch in our country and important developments have taken place in field of Bioengineering in recent years, job opportunities have increased, and so have new fields.
At the department, the students are taught, in its biology part, to develop new biotechnologies using the biologic systems and use them at the industry; and in its engineering part, they are taught the concept and methods of engineering.
The first-year class of the professional training contains not only Turkish Language and History of Ataturk’s Principles and Reforms as common courses but also Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Basic Laboratory, Introduction to Computer and Thermodynamics. The second-year courses are Biochemistry, Cells, Statistics, Fluid Mechanics, Mass Transfer, Heat Transfer, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Engineering Laboratory, Biomaterials and Physiology. The third-year courses are General Economy, Plant Tissue Cultures, Biopress Engineering, Immunology, Electrical Systems, Process Security, Animal Tissue Cultures, Bioreactors, Introduction to Genetic Engineering and Biosensors. The courses in the fourth year are De-aration and Purification Processes, Process Design, System and Process Analysis, Engineering Economy, Introduction to Biomedical Engineering, Biopolymers, Process Control and Ethics in Bioengineering.
Click here for the eight-semester curriculum of the Department of Genetics and Bioengineering.